[lfs-support] iso8859-15 spanish accented characters in lfs-7.5

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Wed May 21 03:52:07 PDT 2014

Em 21-05-2014 06:56, ortenzia konyha escreveu:
> Dear Mr. Moffat, thank you for your hint. this is what I did in the
> prompt I wrote: set LC_ALL=es_ES.UTF-8 and tried to type some spanish
> accented characters á. é, í, ó, ú in console and in vim the result is
> the same I can only see 'a, 'e, 'i, 'o, 'u
>

> This is not what I want. I want to be able of typing spanish acented
> characters in console and in vim.
>
> What it works for me is a scipt that does the following loadkeys
> /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qerty/es.map.gz
>
> Doing this way I can type in console and in vim wihout using the
> shorcut of CTR K + `a
>
> However I wanted to know if it is possible to set the booting
> automatically Being my LANG and my LC_ALL=es_ES.iso885915 at euro
>
> why does not this setiing allow me to see spanish accented characters
> á. é, í, ó, ú?

Not in Spanish, all for Brazilian Portuguese. I am not expert as Ken,
but what follows works for me.

I have:

$ echo $LANG
pt_BR.UTF-8

Basic layout is defined in:

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/console
# Begin /etc/sysconfig/console

KEYMAP="br-abnt2"
FONT="lat1-16 -m 8859-1"

# End /etc/sysconfig/console

Notice that for the keyboard you will need a different value of KEYMAP.

With this, for basic text console, if I want to type "ótimo":

$ 'otimo

For just one accented character, sometimes you need to type <space>,
after: 'o<space> = ó. I think the program waits for the next character
to decide you want an accented letter.

For vim, include in /etc/vimrc (or, I believe ~/.vimrc, if this is
wanted just for current user):

set encoding=iso-8859-1
set fileencodings=iso-8859-1

This allows me to produce the accented characters as above, inside vim.
This can be tested, before you change /etc/vimrc, I believe, by setting
temporarily, inside vim, with the commands:

:set encoding=iso-8859-1
:set fileencodings=iso-8859-1

Hope this works for you, but you need to define the KEYMAP correctly.

--
[]s,
Fernando