[lfs-support] iso8859-15 spanish accented characters in lfs-7.5

ortenzia konyha viktoa65 at yahoo.es
Wed May 21 11:16:51 PDT 2014

Dear Mr: Moffat,
I think point 9 below is the root cause.

1) agreed that KEYMAP="es"
2) I do not have dead keys for the
 accents:

 dead_grave and
 dead_circumflex on the key to the right of 'P'
 which probably has grave and circumflex on the
 key label.

 dead_acute and
 dead_diaeresis on the key two keys to the right of
 'L' which means the key between N-tilde
 and C-cedilla.
3) Let's use UTF-8
4) no, I was not rebooting every time I made the changes in the /etc/sysconfig/console
5) you are right, I have tried more posible combinations in /etc/sysconfig/console
6) my actual /etc/sysconfig/console is:
UNICODE=1
KEYMAP="es"
KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro2"
FONT="lat0-16 -m 8859-15"
7) I am not sure how to do this:
"reboot. (with the  corrected LC_ALL=es_ES.UTF-8)."
what I have done is to write in the prompt the following
set LC_ALL=es_ES.UTF-8
If I do
echo $LC_ALL
the answer is:
LC_ALL=es_ES.UTF-8
but after rebooting and typing set to see my variables
LC_ALL is not present
I can only find
LANG=es_ES-iso885915 at euro

inputing at the prompt
locale
LANG=es_ES.iso885915 at euro
all the other variables of locale are the same
LC_TYPE="es_ES.iso885915 at euro"
LC:NUMERIC="es_ES.iso885915 at euro"
LC_TIME="es_ES.iso885915 at euro"
except
LC_ALL= /which is empty/

8)
 If you still cannot see the letters a,e,i,o,u
 with acute accents,
 please describe what
 character you get for each of them.

I can see only this: 'a. 'e, 'i, 'o, 'u

9)  QUOTE: "do now wonder if somewhere in the system you  *are* using an  iso-8859 setting" UNQUOTE.
I somewhere during the building LFS set my global variable  LANG=es_ES.iso8859 at euro but I cannot find the place where I did.
I cannot find the file where this settings are recorded
is somewhere in bash, maybe?

Maybe this should be changed?
Do you know how?

Best Regards
Viktor Ankor

P.S:  I have to copy the output of my LFS system manually, because I am not able to connect to the mail using lynx and open-ssl but I will ask this in the blfs-support mail later.