[lfs-support] iso8859-15 spanish accented characters in lfs-7.5

ALZ (phyglos.org) alz at phyglos.org
Wed May 21 12:55:02 PDT 2014

On 05/21/2014 11:57 AM, ortenzia konyha wrote:
> Dear ALZ
> your settings fro /etc/sysconfig/console
> # Begin
>   /etc/sysconfig/console
>
>   KEYMAP="es"
>   KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro2"
>   FONT="lat0-16 -m 8859-15"
>
>   # End
>   /etc/sysconfig/console
>
> work for me either for ñ, ¿. ¡ and € in console but I cannot see accented
>   spanish character, á, é, í, ó, ú.

Are you using a PC/AT keyboard?
You said you were using a Lenovo Netbook. Can you provide the exact model?

Now, you can try this:

# dmesg | grep input

Look for something like: "input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard..."

Copy here any line related to keyboards...

> adding the UNICODE=1. to my /etc/sysconfig/console does not allow me to see the  spanish character, á, é, í, ó, ú., I can see them as 'a, 'e, 'i, 'o, 'u.

Let's stick to no Unicode for a while.

Set /etc/sysconfig/console like this:

LOGLEVEL=8
KEYMAP="es"
KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro2"
FONT="lat0-16 -m 8859-15"

Save and power off.
Start over again and enter after the first prompt:

#tail -15 /var/log/boot.log

Look for:

"Setting up Linux console... OK"

Copy here any error message if you see FAIL instead of OK

> What I am trying to do is to se the encoding in console.
> What it works for me is to use at the prompt the following;
> loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qerty/es.map.gz

Try this:

#cd /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty
#loadkeys es

Any errors? Can you type àèìòùáéíúó?

Now enter:

# dumpkeys | grep dead

Copy what you get here, like this:
keycode 26 = dead_grave   dead_circumflex   bracketleft
keycode 40 = dead_acute   dead_diaeresis    braceleft

Try for completeness:

#loadkeys es-cp850

#dumpkeys | grep dead

Copy what you get here.

Ensure you load es.map again with euro symbol.
#loadkeys es
#loadkeys euro2

> but I would like it to have it loaded at boot time, if possible.

This /etc/sysconfig/console should work after boot.
Remove LOGLEVEL if preferred, but don't mix Unicode with ISO-8859.

 From LFS 7.5 book:

7.10. Configuring the Linux Console

UNICODE
Set this variable to “1”, “yes” or “true” in order to put the console
into UTF-8 mode. This is useful in UTF-8 based locales and **harmful**
otherwise. (Asterisks are mine)

As Ken Moffat is pointing, you should use UNICODE=1 with es_ES.UTF-8
locales, but not ISO-8850-15 locales.

This is my LANG variable:

LANG=es_ES.ISO8859-15 at euro

that is set in /etc/profile.

Check also any uncommented variable, at the end of
/etc/sysconfig/rc.site, related to console settings

Regards
ALZ.