[lfs-support] iso8859-15 spanish accented characters in lfs-7.5

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed May 21 16:17:43 PDT 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 07:16:51PM +0100, ortenzia konyha wrote:
> Dear Mr: Moffat,

 Less formality, please.  "Ken" is fine, so is just replying without
any greeting - that is what I normally do on the lists.

> I think point 9 below is the root cause.
>
> 8)
>  If you still cannot see the letters a,e,i,o,u
>  with acute accents,
>  please describe what
>  character you get for each of them.
>
> I can see only this: 'a. 'e, 'i, 'o, 'u

 I was not expecting that, I expected maybe some weird symbols.
That looks as if your dead keys are either not working, or are being
read so quickly that the system thinks you pressed them twice, which
will normally generate the accent itself instead of an accent on the
next key you type.

> 9)  QUOTE: "do now wonder if somewhere in the system you  *are* using an  iso-8859 setting" UNQUOTE.
> I somewhere during the building LFS set my global variable  LANG=es_ES.iso8859 at euro but I cannot find the place where I did.
> I cannot find the file where this settings are recorded
> is somewhere in bash, maybe?
>
> Maybe this should be changed?
> Do you know how?

 I think ALZ has probably pointed to that (/etc/profile).  If not,
take a look at what you have in ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc.  On
my machines, where the basic setup predates much of what is now in
BLFS, I set LC_ALL in both of those : "my system, my rules"

 Please try everything ALZ has suggested in his latest reply.

 Oh, and can you stop top-posting, please ?  Most linux mailing
lists prefer to see replies after the part of the text you are
replying to.  I know some mailers make that hard (I'm looking at
you, gmail).

ĸen