[lfs-support] iso8859-15 spanish accented characters in lfs-7.5

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat May 24 07:16:16 PDT 2014

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 01:39:40PM +0200, ALZ (phyglos.org) wrote:
> On 05/21/2014 11:57 AM, ortenzia konyha wrote:
> >Dear ALZ
> >your settings fro /etc/sysconfig/console
> ># Begin
> >  /etc/sysconfig/console
> >
> >  KEYMAP="es"
> >  KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro2"
> >  FONT="lat0-16 -m 8859-15"
> >
> >  # End
> >  /etc/sysconfig/console
> >
> >work for me either for ñ, ¿. ¡ and € in console but I cannot see accented
> >  spanish character, á, é, í, ó, ú.
> >

> I can now CONFIRM this behavior after building a clean LFS SVN-20140519.
>
> Just after first boot, in console prompt, accented characters like à are
> displayed as 'a. All other characters are well placed, like Ñ, ç, €, etc.
> This happens also using a spanish AT keyboard with /etc/sysconfig/console
> set to:
>
> KEYMAP="es"
> KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro2"
> FONT="lat0-16 -m 8859-15"
>
> Setting also this values in /etc/sysconfig/rc.site does not correct the
> problem.
>
> Executing "#loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es" seems to correct the
> problem with accents, but this is lost after reboot.
>
> >What I am trying to do is to se the encoding in console.
> >What it works for me is to use at the prompt the following;
> >loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qerty/es.map.gz
> >but I would like it to have it loaded at boot time, if possible.
> >

> This is a quick workaround to temporary fix this:
>
> # mv /etc/rc.d/init.d/console /etc/rd.c/init.d/console.ORIG
>
> # cat > /etc/rc.d/init.d/console << "EOF"
>
> cd /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty
>
> loadkeys es
> loadkeys euro2
>
> setfont lat0-16 -m 8859-15
>
> EOF
>
> # reboot
>
> This temporary fix allows to type characters like à in console after boot.
>
> ALZ.

 Thanks for confirming this.

@ALZ :  Are you using unicode ?  And are you using a framebuffer ?

@ortenzia : Are you using a framebuffer ?

 I've raised ticket #3591
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/3591
but at the moment I don't have a clue what has broken.

 I do remember there were issues with loadkeys in kbd-2.0 (some maps
suce as, I think, croatian, were reproted to not load), but I thought
those issues were fixed in 2.0.1, at least for x86.  And anyway,
loadkeys is obviously working for you guys.

ĸen