[lfs-support] iso8859-15 spanish accented characters in lfs-7.5

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat May 24 08:29:43 PDT 2014

ALZ (phyglos.org) wrote:
> On 05/24/2014 03:58 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> If you can put a few echo statements in /etc/init.d/console and see
>> where there is a problem, I can update the script.
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>
> Thanks Bruce. After some troubleshooting I've realized that in LFS this
> two commands are not equivalent:
>
> #loadkeys es
>
> #loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es

> The Changelog inside kbd sources says that at kdb-1.5.3 an enviroment
> variable LOADKEYS_KEYMAP_PATH is introduced. In fact, when doing
>
> #export LOADKEYS_KEYMAP_PATH=/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty
> #loadkeys es
>
> the expected behavior is now obtained.

I took a look at the source! and it is searching the path

/usr/share/keymaps/**

I'm not sure about the double asterisk, but I get:

$ find /usr/share/keymaps/ -name es\*
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map.gz
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es-cp850.map.gz
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es.map.gz

I am guessing that the plain 'loadkeys es' is getting the one in olpc.
That directory only has es.map.gz and pt.map.gz.  Try:

cd /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/
mv es.map.gz olpc-es.map.gz
mv pt.map.gz olpc-pt.map.gz

And then see if the simple 'loadkeys es' works properly.

I note that there are other possible name collisions in places like
i386/qwerty/cz.map.gz vs i386/qwertz/cz.map.gz.

   -- Bruce