[lfs-support] iso8859-15 spanish accented characters in lfs-7.5

ALZ (phyglos.org) alz at phyglos.org
Sat May 24 09:42:37 PDT 2014

On 05/24/2014 05:29 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

 > $ find /usr/share/keymaps/ -name es\*
 > /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map.gz
 > /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es-cp850.map.gz
 > /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es.map.gz
 >
 > I am guessing that the plain 'loadkeys es' is getting the one in olpc.
 > That directory only has es.map.gz and pt.map.gz.  Try:
 >
 > cd /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/
 > mv es.map.gz olpc-es.map.gz
 > mv pt.map.gz olpc-pt.map.gz

First reverted my /etc/sysconfig/console file to:

KEYMAP="es"
KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro2"
FONT="lat0-16 -m 8859-15"

Rebooted and the wrong behavior repeats.
The two '`' + 'a' keystrokes will issue 'a instead of à.

Applied the change proposed:

 > cd /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/
 > mv es.map.gz olpc-es.map.gz
 > mv pt.map.gz olpc-pt.map.gz

After rebooting for a clean environment, à is get in the console with no
issues at all.

Vim also functions without any problem on accented vowels.

 > And then see if the simple 'loadkeys es' works properly.

This confirms that when no full pathname is given to loadkeys, nor
LOADKEYS_KEYMAP_PATH is set, loadkeys recursive search finds first
"olpc/es.map.gz".

This behavior is not expected for a standard PC user who wants
"i386/es.map.gz" to be loaded from "#loadkeys es".

If loadkeys new behavior is to be accepted, just setting
/etc/sysconfig/console with

KEYMAP="/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es"

solves the problem.

 > I note that there are other possible name collisions in places like
 > i386/qwerty/cz.map.gz vs i386/qwertz/cz.map.gz.
 >
 >    -- Bruce

Renaming olpc files seems also an acceptable solution,too, except for
that new collisions you are finding out.

Thanks!
ALZ.