[lfs-support] FHS-thoughts

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat May 24 14:14:51 PDT 2014

Frans de Boer wrote:
> FHS-thoughts
>
> Reading File Hierarchy Standard (FHS) version 2.3 leaves a double
> feeling regarding their standardization effort.

The next version is coming very slowly, but I'm monitoring it:

http://www.linuxbase.org/betaspecs/fhs/fhs.html

3.10. /lib<qual> : Alternate format essential shared libraries (optional)

This is commonly used for 64-bit or 32-bit support on systems which
support multiple binary formats, but require libraries of the same name.
In this case, /lib32 and /lib64 might be the library directories, and
/lib a symlink to one of them.

LFS is compliant in this area.  In fact, I don't know where it is not
compliant, but I haven't done a comprehensive review lately.

   -- Bruce