[lfs-support] GNU Make4.1 Segmentation Fault

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 8 17:18:13 PDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 04:55:26PM -0400, John Wesley wrote:
> During a make check after compiling GNU Make-4.1, the following error
> occurs.
>
> make[2]: Entering directory '/mnt/lfs/sources/make-4.1'
> cd tests && perl ./run_make_tests.pl -srcdir /mnt/lfs/sources/make-4.1
> -make ../make
> sh: line 1:   705 Done                    echo "all:;@echo \$(MAKE)"
> 706 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) | ../make -f-
> FATAL ERROR: Cannot determine the value of $(MAKE):
>
> make install will finish without error, but the application will still
> seg fault when initiated. The following error was take from dmesg.
>
> segfault at 0 ip 00007f0eb0cca606 sp 00007fff2b27c1b8 error 4 in
> libc-2.23.so[7f0eb0c4c000+198000]
>
> --
> John Wesley

When people have reported similar errors in the past, it was because
they had build LFS on one system, then transferred the binaries to a
lesser system - in that case, the fix is to go back to the first
system and rebuild gmp using the configfsf files.

That appears to not match your problem - unless you are building on
an under-endowed skylake pentium.  Context (book version, host
system, hardware) might help.  But you appear to be doing something
VERY different from the rest of us: why is your build entering
/mnt/lfs/sources/make-4.1 ?  If you were in chroot the /mnt/lfs part
would not be present.

The other cause of segfaults is, of course, problematic hardware.
My own athlon64 (x4, I think) segfaults fairly often - dropping the
caches sometimes helps.

Apart from anything else, I think you will need to remove the
problematic `make' binary.

ĸen