[lfs-support] Second pass of Binutils: unrecognized configure options

A.M. Cumberworth amc226 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 03:36:04 PDT 2016

Hello,

This is my first time going though LFS. On the second pass of Binutils
(5.9) (LFS Version 7.9-systemd), I noticed that the following was
printed at the end of the output from configure (with options directly
pasted from the book):

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-lib-path,
--with-sysroot

I searched the configure script and could find no reference to these
options. I used the wget list and the mdsum script when downloading the
source for this and all other packages. Perhaps these (apparently not
universally necessary?) options are left over from a previous version of
Binutils. According to the configure script comments, the LIBS
environmental variable would seem to be used in the same way as
--with-lib-path. It seems possible that the with-sysroot option could be
set instead with LDFLAGS, which is used to pass flags to the linker, but
I don't know much about linkers and compilers, so was wondering if
someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks,

Alex