[lfs-support] Building LFS under Debian

Don Cross cosinekitty at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 15:33:20 PDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 5:21 PM Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 10:35:14PM +0200, Pierre Labastie wrote:
> > On 08/07/2018 18:25, Alan Corey wrote:
> >
> > So your CPU is ARM, isn't it? I guess not many people on this list have
> > experience with that architecture. This does not mean they can't help,
> but
> > their support may be limited.
> >
> Apart from all the good comments from everyone, I think I need to
> stress this point, and to note that understanding *how* LFS fits
> together is easiest if you have a spare x86_64 partition where you
> can install it - that approach is common and comparatively
> well-tested, i686 should work but is nowadays only rarely tested.
> Everything else will have differences.
>
> But on the aarch64 machine you (Alan) need to get a working toolchain
> on your host before you can get anywhere.
>
> If that machine is some sort of Raspberry Pi, perhaps
> http://intestinate.com/pilfs/ might have something useful on changes
> to the process (seems to have last been updated in March, and refers
> to a 4.14 kernel).
>
> ĸen

I successfully completed a PiLFS build on a Raspberry Pi 3 a couple of
months ago. I took extensive notes along the way. One thing I would
recommend as you follow along with
http://intestinate.com/pilfs/guide.html
is to disable parallel building: edit ch6-build.sh and set PARALLEL_JOBS=1.
I left the default on my first attempt and something went wrong with step #
6.23 (ncurses). I suspect it either ran out of memory or there was a race
condition in the build process. Also, on my second (successful) attempt, I
did not install all locales (INSTALL_ALL_LOCALES=0). Everything worked fine
after these 2 changes. I can provide more details if that would be helpful.
- Don