[lfs-support] Booting LFS with systemd

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 12 00:41:23 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 02:17:05AM -0400, Michael Shell wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 16:19:17 +0100
> Hazel Russman <hazeldebian at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does the "patchwork" site in your link contain the actual patch files
> > that correspond to those weird alphanumeric codes?
>

>   Hazel,
>
> Yes! At the page:
>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9847857/
>
> Look at the headers near the top. The link to the patch is labeled
> "patch" under the Download section. e.g.,
>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9847857/raw/
>
> That will give you the patch that caused those changes which are
> identified as "commit 7744ccdbc16f0ac4adae21b3678af93775b3a386":

Michael,

 whilst your advice is good, this seems horrendously complicated.  I
will admit that I have trouble when a bisect points to a *merge*
commit, and since I'm not currently doing a bisect I lack details
for reverting a commit, but surely -

if you have the git tree, you can look at the particular commit,
e.g. 'git show 7744ccdbc16f' (might sometimes need more digits),
and then in worst case add '>../dodgy' (so, the created file is not
in the git tree) and then something like 'cat ../dodgy | patch -R'
[ probably needs more specification, e.g. -p1 or whatever, so
--dry-run ].

And the generic command is probably 'git revert 7744ccdbc16f' but
since I'm not currently bisecting, I'm not sure what state that
would leave things in.

The important thing is that the 'weird alphanumeric codes' identify
a particular commit [ some variant of a shasum, I think ] and can be
used to identify the commit in git.

Regards,

ĸen
--
              Keyboard not found, Press F1 to continue