[lfs-support] Dual architecture-triplet binutils directories in temp /tools

Dave Hollenbeck helidavemon at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 14 08:15:01 PDT 2018

Hello,

First, thank you all who have created LFS and graciously offer to
support users who take on the project.

After getting to the end of chapter 5 of the LFS 8.2 book, I noticed
that my /tools directory has both the host and the new
architecture-specific locations:
   /tools/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu
   /tools/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

And, more disturbingly, it seems that gcc prefers the linker from the
host architecture directory:
$ type gcc
gcc is /tools/bin/gcc
$ gcc -print-prog-name=ld
/home/lfs/LFS_8p2_temp/tools/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.3.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld

This seem wrong.  I did notice the dual directories early, but figured
it was an artifact of the initial pass and would be adjusted in later
steps.  Maybe it's not wrong; the remaining work is still being
performed on the build system, which would mean that the above linker
location is correct?  Sorry, this is a bit confusing to me;  I'm fairly
new to the practice of cross-compiling.

1. Is this incorrect?
2. What might I have done incorrectly to cause it?
3. Any shortcut to correcting it?

Thanks and kind regards,
Dave