[links-list] Moving around with arrow keys bringing up the menu?

Mikulas Patocka mikulas at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Mar 8 13:22:33 PST 2000

> > Ok, here's a weird problem.. has anyone else seen the menu
> > spontaneously coming up?  I absolutely am NOT hitting escape.. but
> > I am sometimes holding down the arrow key (since it's so hard to
> > navigate around a zillion links)..
>
> I suspect the heart of the problem is that the cursor keys send
> escape sequences; each press of a cursor key sends escape followed
> by a couple of other characters.
>
> When you auto-repeat a cursor key, you're sending a long series
> of these sequences. If anything happens to disrupt the stream,
> either losing some characters, letting them arrive out of order, or
> introducing timing delays between the bytes sent by a single cursor
> key, the decoder built into curses/termcap/slang/whatever can get
> confused, and think it has a lone escape.
>
> Beyond that I won't attempt to guess.
>
> Losing bytes, or having them arrive out of order, would constitute a
> bad bug. But introducing a delay might not.
>
> If that's where the problem lies, then fixes might include trying a
> different library, or perhaps even tuning the definition of your
> terminal, I don't know.

Not only lost characters can cause the problem. Because links must be able
to recognise both ESC and arrow keys, it has timeout. If it receives esc
and if it doesn't receive any other character in specified period of time
(0.1s, can be changed in setup.h - ESC_TIMEOUT), it assumes, that user
pressed ESC. If the link is slow, it can happen that delay between ESC and
[A is more than 0.1s and links thinks that user pressed ESC. The only
workaround for it is to increase ESC_TIMEOUT in setup.h.

Mikulas