[links-list] Downloaded files are not in binary mode

Mikulas Patocka mikulas at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Mon Jun 4 06:43:32 PDT 2001

> > The rest of the code is written with assumption that exactly one of OS2,
> > WIN32, BEOS, UNIX macros is defined, so it would be best to undefine UNIX
> > or change it to something not conflicting.
>
> Could do that, it would need to be in a header file I guess.  But you
> still need to distinguish between WIN32  and Cygwin because Cygwin has
> real pipes.

Currently WIN32 means Cygwin. Links can't be compiled with Visual C or
something like that. If you want to port it, do it, but I think it will be
quite hard and useless because anybody can get Cygwin for free.

> > BTW. does Cygwin have threads? Would it be possible to use them? Links is
> > forking to do lookups and to wait for user viewers and I guess WIN32
> > doesn't have copy-on-write.
>
> Cygwin does 'proper' forking, it works fine.  It's not quite as
> efficient as Unix (it just does a full copy, rather than copy on write)
> but Unix utilities normally compile and run fine.

That's bad. With large document cache Links could be quite huge and I
don't think it is reasonable to copy tens of megabytes on each lookup. If
someone fixes this, I won't mark win32 port as experimental and
unsupported.

Mikulas