[links-list] Downloaded files are not in binary mode

Chris Croughton chris at keris.net
Mon Jun 4 06:54:57 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 03:43:32PM +0200, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> Currently WIN32 means Cygwin. Links can't be compiled with Visual C or
> something like that. If you want to port it, do it, but I think it will be
> quite hard and useless because anybody can get Cygwin for free.

Ah, right.  OK, that can be changed easily.

> > Cygwin does 'proper' forking, it works fine.  It's not quite as
> > efficient as Unix (it just does a full copy, rather than copy on write)
> > but Unix utilities normally compile and run fine.
>
> That's bad. With large document cache Links could be quite huge and I
> don't think it is reasonable to copy tens of megabytes on each lookup. If
> someone fixes this, I won't mark win32 port as experimental and
> unsupported.

As I recall it does support PThreads (POSIX "light threads"), all in a
single task.  I aven't used it, though.  I'll check the Cygwin docs,
they may have improved fork now (or it may be OK under NT but not under
9x, I know it's a lot slower on 98 than under NT4).

Chris C