[links-list] Problem with forms?!

Khimenko Victor khim at sch57.msk.ru
Fri Jun 15 05:06:10 PDT 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Alexander Mai wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 03:51:58PM +0400, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Alexander Mai wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > (did I report his earlier??)
> > >
> > > When I press' accept' on
> > >   http://www.opengroup.org/austin/login.html
> > > I would expect the login dialog (username, password) to come up,
> > > but I get immediate the error message, that the login failed.
> > >
> > > Not sure whether the login should finally work, but I think
> > > at least the dialog form could come up?!
> > >
> > Huh ? I just checked - it's NOT form. It's http authorisation request.
> > And only few days ago it was discussed already. Summary:
> > -- cut --
> > >
> > >  Is there any chance you'll find a way to correct the previous
> > > problems and re-enable it before officially releasing a new version?
> > > I'm using some 0.94 pre-release (OS/2) version right now (which
> > > contains this support); I'd like to upgrade to a newer version sooner
> > > or later, but this won't be possible before this problem is solved.
> >
> > If someone cleans it up, it can be. If not, it won't be there.
> >
> > Mikulas
> > -- cut --
> >
> > So all is Ok - it's not bug, it's [mis]feature :-/
> >
> > P.S. Hmm. At least this problem WAS discussed :-/ Last time I asked about
> > "HTTP over META" bug I was simply ignored (even if I attached patch to fix it).
>
> Well, perhaps I mixed up things ...
>
> Here's the source of the given URL:
>
> Downloading these documents is taken as agreement to abide by the
> above notice. If you do not agree, do not proceed.
> <P>
> <FORM method="GET" action="http://www.opengroup.org/austin/restricted/">
> <B><p>I understand and
> <INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="accept">
> the terms for accessing these documents.</B>
> </FORM></td>
>
> Then the "misfeature" is triggered by the then upcoming page
> when clicking on 'accept'? Always remember that I don't understand
> things beyond simple HTML ... ;-)

There are NO upcoming page when you are clicking on 'accept'. Instead
there are redirection to page with http authorisation requirement.
Links get this redirect goes to that page and oops: no http authorisation
=> no password request => no access => "wrong login" message...

> And if we can't have some features couldn't we have a more suitable error
> message (a dialog: this page requires "Foo feature" This is not handled by links
> currentlt. Press Enter to proceed)?!

This is up to site authors. Error come from remote site, NOT from links.