[links-list] Re: New Window (ncurses)

Petr Baudis pasky at pasky.ji.cz
Wed May 1 01:23:30 PDT 2002

Dear diary, on Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:45:50AM CEST, I got a letter,
where Mark Lundeberg <mark at xriso.mine.nu> told me, that...

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 eeprom at bol.com.br wrote:
>
> > Links can open a new 'instance' of itself inside a new window in X. But is
> > Links capable of openning a new 'window' inside the existing NCurses
> > interface of a given terminal?
>
> Perhaps we could use the openvt (1) program to use another virtual
> terminal. It would still be a bit of a pain because you'd have one links
> on Alt-F1, then the next on Alt-F7, then Alt-F8 ... on my system.

Alt-F25, Alt-F26 ... on my system.. not really good solution, I think ;).

> > I use BitchX for my IRC conversations on the internet and it is able to
> > open several windows wich are then acessible trough the ALT+x key
> > combination, where x is a number between 0 and 9. So I'm able to be on 10
> > diferent channels at the same time without mixing the conversations from
> > one channel with the other.
>
> I've been thinking about the exact same feature. :-)  Judging by what
> little I know of the links' inner workings, this should not require
> extensive modifications. The reason is because even seperate links
> processes will try to join together so that one can do all the work and
> the others just have to display to their terminals. The major problem that
> could come up is telling the hidden "window"s to not mess up the
> screen by displaying. But I don't know the code too well, so this may even
> be a non-issue.

This is possibly planned (see TODO list). I'm not very sure yet though (it's
not so elegant and kinda bloatish, as it's not neccessary here), and especially
I've better things to spent time on now ;). However, I plan to add some feature
to ELinks in near future, which will allow to at least exchange URLs between
multiple sessions (also giving list of all sessions etc; possibly separate
menu).

Try screen or twin ;).

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis

.
Object orientation is in the mind, not in the compiler. -- Alan Cox
.
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org