[links-list] Re: gzipped files - final

Witold Filipczyk juandon at poczta.onet.pl
Wed May 1 04:02:41 PDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 06:13:32PM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 09:44:04AM CEST, I got a letter,
> where Witold Filipczyk <juandon at poczta.onet.pl> told me, that...
> > I am proud of this patch.
> > I hope it will be applied.
> > lua hook for .gz files isn't necessary.
>
> ..quoting myself..
>
> It's needed to move all this functions to some special file and build some kind
> of abstraction upon it. I'd imagine it as:
>
> struct z_stream *z_open(int fd, int z_type);
> int z_read(struct z_stream *, ...);
> void z_close(struct z_stream *);

Too much effort.

Compressed local files and compressed http it will be easier and clearer
to handle independently (without additional "meta-library").
I know it is difficult to understand what I mean.
In attachment there is an example.

Now gzipped files support is clearer.
Maybe bufsize_for_gzip should be increased (8192 will be better ?)
I don't know how to get size of decompressed file before decompression.
There is no need to test if file is gzipped or not because zlib
handle both.

> It'd be nice to have proper header on the top :). You know, I feel that keeping
> code in uniform and clean state is very important.
>
> > +AC_ARG_WITH(zlib, [  --without-zlib          disable zlib support],
> > +	[if test "$withval" = no; then disable_zlib=yes; fi])
> > +if test -z "$disable_zlib"; then
> > +	AC_CHECK_LIB(z, gzdopen)
> > +	AC_CHECK_HEADERS(zlib.h)
> > +fi

I don't really know how it should be.
In today's version zlib is not enabled by default and configure.in surely
needs some tuning.

> This is something similiar. Well, no sense to comment on this, as we're going
> to move this away anyway, aren't we?

I don't think so.
Now support for gzip files is clear (only in file.c).

When I first look at read_http_data light despodency come over me,
but it shouldn't be so difficult to add gzip support, although many
-2 , 2 and other numeric values in this function.

I'll go in for it now to celebrate today's "prazdnik".

Witek

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org