[links-list] Re: gzipped files - final

Petr Baudis pasky at pasky.ji.cz
Wed May 1 13:48:53 PDT 2002

Dear diary, on Wed, May 01, 2002 at 08:37:52PM CEST, I got a letter,
where Witold Filipczyk <juandon at poczta.onet.pl> told me, that...
> On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 07:53:24PM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
> > Dear diary, on Wed, May 01, 2002 at 01:02:41PM CEST, I got a letter,
> > where Witold Filipczyk <juandon at poczta.onet.pl> told me, that...
> > >
> > > Compressed local files and compressed http it will be easier and clearer
> > > to handle independently (without additional "meta-library").
> > > I know it is difficult to understand what I mean.
> > > In attachment there is an example.
> >
> > See below. The code duplication may rise dramatically with adding of the new
> > encodings, and I just want to be able to add it on one place and feel safe.
> >
> > > Now gzipped files support is clearer.
> > > Maybe bufsize_for_gzip should be increased (8192 will be better ?)
> > > I don't know how to get size of decompressed file before decompression.
> > > There is no need to test if file is gzipped or not because zlib
> > > handle both.
> >
> > Yes, the new patch looks much better! :)
> Which patch ? ;-)

The one you forgot to attach first ;).

> > > I don't really know how it should be.
> > > In today's version zlib is not enabled by default and configure.in surely
> > > needs some tuning.
> >
> > Hmm, why it's not enabled by default?
>
> First of all, not to prejudice :)

;)

> > > I don't think so.
> > > Now support for gzip files is clear (only in file.c).
> >
> > And when we're going to add support for another encodings? From bzip2 to
> > crypted files? ;)
>
> I think it is a progress.
> And now is better than was before.
> Is there anybody interested in bzip2 support?

It is a progress, but in a slightly wrong direction. I guess I'll just sit and
code it myself ;p.

> > I just want to do things properly, when we're already doing them. Otherwise
> > only mess and code duplication will arise in the future..
>
> Oh sorry, it seem to me, that E in elinks stands for experimental.

Not for some time already. We slowly migrate to "Enhanced/Extended". Anyway,
experimental does not mean messy ;).

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis

.
Object orientation is in the mind, not in the compiler. -- Alan Cox
.
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org