[links-list] Re: javascript, was Re: Re: Cookies

Jonas Fonseca fonseca at diku.dk
Sun May 5 08:30:45 PDT 2002

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 10:22:06AM +0200, clemensF wrote:
> > Jonas Fonseca:
>
> > But if this javascript code
> > [...]
>
> you seem to have quite some javascript knowledge :)  may i ask something?

Let me point out that I'm only trying to figure out what is going on.
I've little experience with javascript but will try my best. :)

> there are many sites out there that wouldn't need any javascript, but
> perhaps the market oeconomix see to it, that always the most expensive
> canons are used to swat a fly.

Hehe ... you don't think the goal justify the mean ? More living (and
annoying) webpages. ;)

> my problem is this:  i come across sites that make popups appear using js.
> they define functions that do nothing else but call some normal HTML page.
> this page is there and could be called easily with any browser that can
> find it.
>
> could i use lua to handle this special situation?  eg. lynx can use rules
> that make it appear to do js, but only for sites whose structure is known.

I think you could. The function you would make lua handle is the
window.open(url, name, feature, replace). All arguments are optional but
I guess only the first is interesting. So the regex for this could end
being pretty ugly. ;)

> i don't want a general mechanism, but for the two sites i'm interested in,
> there surely is a way to view them, especially as elinks has an embedded
> lua interpreter, which lynx has not.

If you give a pointer I could check out the javascript ...

> how are the base URL's typically set up, which are used by js routines to
> tack on some URL piece?  if i know that, i could propably script it myself.

I would presume that URLs are set up by the browsers 'base'. Ok there's
a lot of library functions the js could be calling so I really don't know.

Btw. if javascript should be an option in the future a possible way
could be with SpiderMonkey[1]. It is a C implementation of JavaScript[2].
This might be easier to integrate than the java implementation mentioned
in the TODO file. Possibly also making a more standardized interface towards
scripting based on how lua is done now. This could be very interesting.

<vision>
Make it possible to do ruby or bash scripts in HTML pages. Making links
a kind of webshell engine.
</vision>

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey
[2] Don't know if the license is a problem though.
--
Jonas Fonseca
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org