[links-list] Links-0.97-pre12: updated UTF-8 I/O patch (fixed UTF-8 VT-100/Linux line-drawing)

BC Sittler bsittler at iname.com
Thu May 9 01:26:14 PDT 2002

Mikulas,

Further use of links-0.9x with the UTF-8 I/O recoding patch has revealed some minor bugs with line-drawing. Fixes are attached to this message.

Description of Attachments:

Attached to this message are fixes for some line-drawing bugs in UTF-8 I/O mode. The fixes come in two different forms, depending on whether the earlier links-0.96-utf-8.diff5 patch is already applied.

The first attached patch, links-0.97pre12-vt100-utf-8.diff, contains only the changes since the earlier links-0.96-utf-8.diff5.

The second attached patch, links-0.97pre12-utf-8.diff6, is an updated version of the full UTF-8 I/O recoding patch meant to be applied to unmodified links-0.96-pre12 sources. The 'synclang' script must be run in the 'intl' subdirectory after applying this patch.

Description of Changes:

Relative to the earlier links-0.96-utf-8.diff5, this update fixes two line-drawing bugs which affect terminals in UTF-8 I/O mode:

The first bug was that "VT-100 Frames" did not work correctly in UTF-8 I/O mode. Good UTF-8 terminals ignore the charset-switching sequences \016 and \017, and so display lower case letters instead of line-drawing characters. The workaround is to switch to equivalent Unicode characters when in UTF-8 mode. This bugfix affects at least xterm, screen, and the Linux console.

The second bug is that the "^[11m" sequence was sent even when in UTF-8 I/O mode. The workaround is to ignore the m11_hack setting when in UTF-8 I/O mode. This bugfix affects only the Linux console.

Thanks,
-Ben

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup