[links-list] Links 2.0pre1 feedback/FreeBSD port status inquiry

Matthias Andree ma+links at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed May 22 08:54:56 PDT 2002

Hi,

I successfully compiled Linux 2.0pre1 on SuSE 7.3 (i386).

It looks good and very promising. Going to install system-wide now :-)

My observations (first impressions):

* network related:
 - does not support gzip encoding on HTTP. I suggest this as a feature.
 Lynx does it and virtually every graphical browser (Netscape 4, 6,
 Mozilla, Opera, Internet Explorer) does it. Can significantly cut
 download times. Willing to test & debug new code.

* graphics mode related:
 - looks nice, but it's quite slow
 - lacks borders/horizontal rulers on http://freshmeat.net/
 - arrow key for "back" nonfunctional

* german translation mode:
 - "_V_ideo options" Menu item clashes accelerator key with "_V_erknüpfungen"
 - seems to be incomplete. Is someone working on this?

Oh, and please merge AUTH and stuff from elinks ;-)

Is anyone working on a FreeBSD port for quick install? If not, I'll do
one tomorrow.

--
Matthias Andree
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org