[links-list] Re: lynx vs. links vs. elinks?

Jonas Fonseca fonseca at diku.dk
Wed May 22 20:12:43 PDT 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 10:33:11PM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
> conversations aren't frequent and we don't cooperate on developing any new
> features; basically because we both have apparently very different ideas about
> how code should look like and even different goals for our projects.

Pretty sad but maybe that's how it's supposed to be. I was reading the
mail archives and it seems that it just sort of happened over time as
patches were dropped and contributers wanted to pieces together.

If you could agree to have some common interfaces to different modules
you would be able to make plugings be valid for both but I don't know if
that's too late to do.

> > i would love a textbrowser having SSL, javascript and lua and graphics,
> > 100% compatible to all those sites i must browse to.

The fun thing about lynx, w3m, links and elinks is the text thing. I
LOVE textbased programs. Especially if they got fancy colors. :)
Also I like the scripting idea a lot. It's a must for a lot of pages and
combining the two thing is pretty powerfull.

As for the graphic thing I don't know. They have certainly made a good
job making a a non-bloated graphical browser. On the other hand there's
already nice graphic browsers out there. I'd be more interested in
getting support for CSS and such into links.

> I know I won't change bookmarks format to HTML.

Why not ? Not even to XBEL[1] ? ;D

> I'm almost sure now that I won't merge javascript support, but rather
> try to re-implement it; from my point, code for javascript is unusable - it is
> too messy and inextensible for me.

Well with all the TODO's and FIXME's in the elinks code there's a lot of
work to be done already. Just for the stats. Hmmm ;)

jonas at emma:elinks.cvs > find . -name "*.[c|h]" -exec grep -E "TODO|FIXME" {} \; | wc -l
    105

jonas at emma:links-2.0pre1 > find . -name "*.[c|h]" -exec grep -E "TODO|FIXME" {} \; | wc -l
     38

[1] http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/xbel/
--
Jonas Fonseca