[links-list] Re: UTF-8 terminal I/O recoding patch for links-2.0pre1 + notes

clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Wed May 22 23:27:31 PDT 2002

> First, to compile on Mac OS X one must work around a cpp-precomp coredump:
>
> make CC="cc -no-cpp-precomp" font_include.o
>
> (cpp-precomp is a version of the C preprocessor which allows precompiled headers [with the ensuing speedup] but it's also a bit buggy [in this file it just coredumps!] and doesn't understand a lot of GCC syntax.)
>
> A logical next step for UTF-8 terminals would be to implement a "UTF-8 terminal" version of the graphics mode interface to Links, perhaps using the xterm's window for image display (as w3m does with some patches.) This seems like the sane way to handle stuff like >1byte characters, combining characters, wide vs. narrow characters, bidirectional scripts, etc. A lot of the code is the same as for the graphics interface, and quite different from the existing terminal interface.
>

> I also played around a bit with the UTF-8 support in this newest Links
> version, and noticed some bizarre stuff. For instance, some of the Japanese
> hiragana and katakana characters are mysteriously missing (hiragana ri,
> katakana a, katakana ka, etc.) when all surrounding characters [including
> similar ones like katakana small a and katakana ga) are present. Also some of
> the Latin-1 characters are mysteriously absent, for instance there's a
> masculine ordinal indicator but no feminine ordinal indicator, and all the
> vulgar fractions are missing. Was this intentional, an oversight, or just a
> problem of not having an appropriate source font? In the last case, you might
> consider using Unifont bitmaps as a low-resolution fallback font:

I didn't implement everything in Unicode as it would be very time-consuming.
When I see some missing characters somewhere, I determine what's that and add
it to the fonts.

The Japanese fonts were probably missing the glyphs. I'll ask brain, he was
adding them.

> http://dvdeug.dhis.org/unifont.html

We need a scalable font to make the images look good.

--
Karel 'Clock' Kulhavy
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org