[links-list] Re: Links 2.0-pre-whatever and 8-bit displays

clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Fri May 24 11:09:17 PDT 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 10:50:48AM -0500, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:
> I'd like to congratulate the Twibright Labs folks on the graphics support
> in Links 2.0-pre. It seems to work great for me on 24-bit X displays;
> however, on the 8-bit display on this here Sun it causes massive
> colormapping. Running 'xcolor' and observing the window while links is run

Links allocates the whole palette.

> seems to show that links installs a grossly redunant color map and then
> can't even display its own default background color properly.

There has been a bug until recently (2.0pre1 I guess) that on Solaris and
similar non-intel Unices the colors were all messed up. Try the newest
version (2.0pre3).

> I'm not an X hacker but I wonder why links can't display comfortably in
> the 176 colors free in my colormap after OpenStep/Solaris is up and

Because it would look worse and run somewhat slower, and be more complicated.
And netscape does the same.

--
Karel 'Clock' Kulhavy
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org