[links-list] Re: links-list Digest V2 #104

Matthias Andree ma+links at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon May 27 11:21:26 PDT 2002

Matej Cepl <cepl.m at neu.edu> writes:

> On 23 May, you wrote:
>> can the Reply-To: header please be switched off?
>> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> In case you are using mutt (which is usually the case why people
> _really_ complain), there is an option ignore_list_reply_to. Set

I got burnt with other software than mutt before I used mutt, so that's
not mutt specific. And it's not on my behalf, I look into the mailing
list headers on the first few mails and check if they have a Reply-To:
<list> headers. Unsuspecting newbies are trapped however. Please do read
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html -- if you don't object to
the arguments presented there, they are compelling reasons to switch off
the Reply-To: header.

> in on in your .muttrc and mutt will happily ignore Reply-To:
> header itself (AFAIK, you need to have some latter
> 1.3.* developing version of mutt -- do not be afraid, they are
> quite stable now; I am not using mutt anymore, so I am not sure
> whether 1.4 is already out).

I use the equivalent switch in Gnus, but others are not so lucky to have
such a switch, and many people are not aware that this is actually a
problem until they are embarrassed.

Setting a Reply-To: is still wrong and can lead to misdirected mail. See
that document I mentioned please. Use Mail-Followup-To:. Please. I don't
like DJB too much, but see his http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html for
more information on the reply-to background.

--
Matthias Andree
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org