Status of the dm branch

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Dec 5 06:38:05 PST 2005

Hello,

on IRC, it has been decided that the dm branch should not be merged now:

(09:09:24) patrakov: what should be done with dm?
(09:42:07) quadrata: well, nothing for now
(09:42:25) quadrata: I like having it in reserve in case we absolutely
need it
(09:42:47) quadrata: at the same time, for now, I'd rather use the
version of unionfs in trunk than switch to dm

The dm branch was in fact ready (stable) at r1040, and only two fixes
went in later. The rest of commits after r1040 were just merges from
trunk. Unneeded differences began to accumulate between this branch and
trunk, and the important difference in doc/README was lost somehow. I
fixed this in r1219-r1225. The resulting diff is available at:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~alexander/patches/livecd-r1225-dm-1.patch

The question is: should we maintain the dm branch any further, with the
risk of acquiring other unneeded differences? An alternative is to
declare this branch as dead, and apply that patch (containing no junk
differences) if/when the need to replace unionfs with dm really shows up.

One more wish: please aviod such "forgotten" feature branches in the
future. IMHO, once the feature is ready for merging, the branch should
become dead. "svn diff" between the branch creation time and its death
usually contains a good patch against the trunk then.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov