r1262 - trunk/packages/man-db

Justin R. Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Fri Dec 9 14:45:19 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

>Because it's significantly faster.

Not to be a PITA, but I was curious how much faster it would be.  I did
two LiveCD 6.1.1-newmake builds, one after the other.  For each build,
deleting all in /mnt/lfs except /mnt/lfs/sources, meaning that all
packages are already available and no downloads occur.  Then a fresh
checkout of the 6.1.1-newmake repo.  The system is a Celeron 2.4Ghz,
512MB memory, 1GB swap partition, 7200rpm ide hdd.

WITHOUT -j3 flag (PM variable deleted, fixed -j3 flag in thunderbird and
firefox .mozconfig removed):
real    395m50.360s
user    320m3.812s
sys     51m22.493s

WITH -j3 flag (exactly how it is in the svn repo):
real    401m30.983s
user    321m16.761s
sys     52m46.106s

I don't see any advantage in using it on a uniproc machine.  Dual proc
machines are a different story, of course.  If anyone thinks we should
change it, I can test speeds on some other systems I have laying around
and post them also.

Thanks.

Justin