Testing UTF-8

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Dec 9 23:55:10 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

>Hey Guys,
>
>So last night I built current trunk. Alexander, the included i18n is
>pretty cool. :) Just to play around, I tested the Chinese UTF-8 locale
>and saw all the Chinese characters in XFCE. Interestingly, though the
>other buttons on the panel had Chinese text on the pop-up messages,
>Thunderbird didn't. I think it's missing a <Tooltip> entry in the panel
>menu.

The story is rather complicated here.

The original contents.xml.LL come from xfce4-panel-4.2.3, and there is
no tooltip for the mail check icon here either. So this is an upstream
issue. But, those stock XML files assume that we have a full Mozilla
installation, not Firefox+Thunderbird. This difference is accounted for
by the cleanup-panel.pl script in the repository.

So even if upstream provides a tooltip, we would not be able to use it
because it would be valid for full Mozilla only. I already asked on
#lfs-support if this is wanted (motivating by the reduced ISO image size
due to removed duplicate libraries if we adopt the full Mozilla), and
received a very negative response.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov