Font sizes

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sat Dec 10 00:23:51 PST 2005

Hello,

Jeremy Huntwork expressed his wish to decrease the default terminal font
size on the CD. While the font settings work reasonably well here
(except for Chinese menu items at 800x600 screen resolution), there is a
potential problem for laptop users. The problem is that laptops usually
don't report their panel's DPI setting correctly, and the X server falls
back to 75 dpi (and small pixel height of the fonts).

I propose changing the DEFAULT_DPI definition in the
xc/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Priv.h file to 100. This will give a better
default for laptop users with such panels, and won't affect other users
at all because this constant is used only if the monitor doesn't report
its DPI.

Jeremy: please also provide the output of "xdpyinfo" on your system so
that I can see that the new font settinfs are safe enough.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov