32-bit libraries on the 64-bit LiveCD

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 11 09:56:06 PST 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> if I understand correctly, the 32-bit libraries (i.e. glibc) on the
> x86_64 CD are only for GRUB. But now, cross-lLFS has a patch for GRUB
> that makes it buildable in a pure 64-bit system. Shouldn't we consider
> applying it and (for disk space reasons) moving to pure64 setup?

Grub is currently the only package on the x86_64 CD that uses 32-bit,
but I don't think that 32-bit was included just for the sake of grub.
The original idea was that the 32-bit libs would be available for a
person on that CD should he choose to use them.

> Removal of 32-bit libraries will also allow me to create a branch that
> builds a 64-bit CD on 32-bit host by means of using qemu (as a 64-bit
> emulator for everything except gcc) and cross-distcc.

There's also the sparc64 CD to consider - yes, I know, development on
that is slow - but it is still happening. If we moved the scripts to
pure64, we'd need to make sure the sparc could do it too. If we can get
grub2 to work, our problems might be solved.

--
JH