32-bit libraries on the 64-bit LiveCD

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 11 19:41:05 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> Grub is currently the only package on the x86_64 CD that uses 32-bit,
> but I don't think that 32-bit was included just for the sake of grub.
> The original idea was that the 32-bit libs would be available for a
> person on that CD should he choose to use them.

The initial design I had planned for the CD 32-bit was to be included so
you could do multilib builds from, but that was when I was trying to
make it work with the way LFS is built in SVN. But I found through a lot
of testing and confirmation from Ryan that this was bad idea so I
shifted it to use CLFS. And I as I was told from Joe and Matt on IRC
once, that the CD being multilib is unnecessary to build both x86_64
variants. So for x86_64 I would say we could shift to pure64. Though I
will admit I have not done a lot of testing with pure64, I've been more
interested in multilib, since I need to run things that will work only
in 32-bit (OOo for example).

But as Jeremy pointed out there is the sparc64 build to consider as
well, but that will be up to him to test that as I think he's the only
one with the hardware.

>>Removal of 32-bit libraries will also allow me to create a branch that
>>builds a 64-bit CD on 32-bit host by means of using qemu (as a 64-bit
>>emulator for everything except gcc) and cross-distcc.
And what would be the purpose of such a branch?

Thomas