When XOrg 6.9/7.0 comes out...

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Dec 21 08:55:16 PST 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> (i.e. on the next week) ...don't upgrade blindly.

The release is scheduled for today. I can perform a zero-day LiveCD
update to X.Org 6.9 or experiment a bit (two or three days) and upgrade
to 7.0 (the code is identical). Or just do nothing for now.

Pro's and con's:

do nothing: nothing gained, nothing lost, works for most people.
do the upgrade: I already reported the OpenGL stability regression on
R200, solvable by kernel update. For the LiveCD purposes, this OpenGL
instability is a minor (ignorable) issue, and upgrading early will bring
us early bug reports. The related changes to console configurator are
already known.

upgrade to 6.9: the current Makefile needs only minor modifications.
upgrade to 7.0: requires a full rewrite of the Makefile. Some quirks are
neded if the libtool braindamage from X.Org 7.0-RC3 propagates to 7.0.
Upgrading to X.Org 7.0 is also likely to simplify x86_64 setup, also it
easily allows dropping unneeded legacy X components. Installation into
/usr also works.

Please express your wishes about the upgrade path. I will implement them
after the agreement is reached.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov