Bothersome X in First Use of LiveCD

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 02:46:29 PST 2005

Dan McGhee wrote:
> After a successful build of LFS on my PC using Mandrake as the host
> system, I decided to use the LiveCD to build on my laptop.
>
> I have a situation that probably is just me since I found nothing
> helpful in the archives or with Google.
>
> The best way I can explain the symptom is that in xfce the refresh
> rate--and I don't know whether that's the right term or not--on xterm is
> agonizingly slow, and sometimes it doesn't redraw at all.

1) In XFCE, this is "XFCE Terminal", not xterm. In twm, this is the real
xterm. Does this explain the difference? Try running xterm from XFCE Terminal
and /usr/bin/Terminal from xterm. Does this explain a difference?

2) What is the LiveCD version? If that's 6.2-pre2, could you please try
deleting various VTE_USE_* exports from /etc/profile and retry?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov