When XOrg 6.9/7.0 comes out...

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Dec 22 08:47:52 PST 2005

I wrote:

> 6) [SHOWSTOPPER] Either libSM or libICE got silently miscompiled. This
> results in ICE connections to XFCE session manager being refused with
> a long timeout, and finally a "do you really want to quit?" dialog box
> appears instead of the usual shutdown dialog that asks whether to end
> session, reboot or shut down.

Sorry for the panic. I attempted to do the upgrade by removing
/usr/X11R6, building the modular X.Org with the /usr prefix, and
expecting programs to "just work". That was wrong. The problem was that
xfce4-session package looks for the "iceauth" binary at ./configure time
and hard-codes that path in the xfce4-session binary. Since after the
upgrade there was no /usr/X11R6/bin/iceauth binary, things stopped
working. Recompilation of the xfce4-session package fixed this problem.

So I am ready to write the Makefiles for the full OpenGL-enabled X.Org
7.0 with the /usr prefix for the LiveCD, but I am not sure that it is
exactly what we want. Should I attempt to strip down the installation as
much as possible by omitting unused modules? I expect to reduce the CD
size by 30-40 megabytes as the result, but it would take some time.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov