r1319 - in trunk: . packages packages/mousepad

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Dec 26 20:09:28 PST 2005

Archaic wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 08:37:58PM -0700, alexander at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>

>>Log:
>>Added Mousepad: a simple text editor for XFCE
>>

>Just curious, why is another text editor needed?

The only GTK-based text editor on the pre-r1319 CD is Gvim, but it
doesn't use the standard GTK+2 text input widget. Mousepad does.

Besides that, Gvim is modal, Mousepad is modeless. We provide modeless
terminal-based editors, and used to provide Xedit (part of Xorg) as a
modeless GUI-based editor. Since Xedit is no longer on the CD (didn't
survive removal of bitmap fonts), I think that Mousepad is a good
replacement.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov