Old systems

Steffen R. Knollmann sknolli at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Tue Mar 22 19:03:25 PST 2005

Hello!

  Okay, problem resolved. Sorry if this solution is already known, I was
quite busy theses days and didn't pay that much attention to the list.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 04:13:23PM -0500, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>  > Jeremy,
> >This sounds very like the problems that I was having with the LiveCD.  I
> >tought it was media, but there may be a problem with the Kernel on
> >pre-686 pentiums.  Is there anyone who has successfully booted it on a 586?
> >R.
>
> If that's the case, let's get it sorted for the next round of the cd. I
> know the cds I'm currently working on work for 586, but I don't have a
> pre-686 pentium, just AMD-K6.  I suppose it's possible that I missed a
> config in the kernel then (I missed a lot for those first few).

  Okay, quite some time passed and I finally came around to test booting
from the CD on the old machine again. Actually I tried booting the/an
Ubuntu CD with at first no success and after some reading around in the
boot options I found the 'right' parameter.

  Booting with 'linux nolapic' works like a charm now, both with the
Ubuntu (not of interest now :)) and the LFS 20050211 CD.

  I mainly post this as a reference for people with the same problem as
me; but maybe this would be worth to put somewhere in a help text?

  Cheers,
    Steffen

--
Der Geist der Medizin ist leicht zu fassen;
Ihr durchstudiert die groß' und kleine Welt