LFS/BLFS forums

Lupine thelupine at gmail.com
Mon May 8 06:44:12 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 07:27 -0600, Archaic wrote:

> You must not be subscribed to any security lists, cause if you were you
> would never recommend phpBB2. That and many other php-based forum
> packages litter the security lists weekly with vulnerabilities.

No, I am....and with the proper control and setup, this (like most
things) can be secured.  Which is probably why most projects use it (or
some form of it).  Gnome, Ubuntu, SuSe...etc.  So obviously it's not
that insecure, if used by so many.  I am a moderator on the Gnome
forums, and I've yet to see an issue that would prohibit the use of
forums for BLFS.  Every now and then I have to delete the occasional
spambot, but no biggie.

> My experience are that forum archives are next to impossible to search
> with any accuracy and it requires clicking through pages to find if
> something changes whereas with news/mail, it pops right up with no
> clicking around.

YMMV.  I've had far better luck with forums than news/mail.  I mean, I
don't have to constantly delete emails I don't want out of my inbox.
I'd rather do a search and just scroll through some www pages.

Like I said, it's just another tool that I think the community could
benefit from, and I'm offering my time (and money, I just donated) for
an addition like that.  Most of the popular projects out there have a
forum, so I'm sure other people out there expect BLFS/LFS to have one as
well.

Thanks,
-Lup